Thursday, July 26, 2007

Last week in Bosnia

So it's been another busy week, but as of 6:30 tonight the official part of my trip will be completed!

Spent last Friday taking a day trip to Mostar, site of the famous Old Bridge that was blown up in 1993. It was a beautiful town to see.... evidence of the war was everywhere, and nice new rebuilt buildings stood next to buildings completely devastated by shelling. The old town and bridge were very nice, and the Neretva River runs right through town. I went by myself, and it was really relaxing to have coffee and lunch at cafes by the river, as well as to have the opportunity to wander around town and see the place on my own. The afternoon got really hot though (like over 110 degrees), and I headed back to Sarajevo (on the air conditioned bus) without staying to check out the night life. Mostar is a college town, so very fun, but not worth the heat at the end of July!

Took it easy last weekend and just hung out in Sarajevo. Got some souvenier shopping done, and spent some more time wandering the city. Nothing too exciting to report. Got up to Vareš on Sunday afternoon and began to prepare for our last week teaching! Luckily, we had an easy week planned, with our art show, movie day and picnic going on. The Vareš summer festival began Sunday night, so we definitely needed a more laid back week (translation = lots of late nights out in the town.) There was live music every night, and there was more than one cafe open past 11 p.m. Nothing too crazy went out, but it was definitely nice to see the town with more energy, and with about twice the population, since all of the people from the surrounding villages come down to the city center for the festival.

Wednesday was our last day at school, and it was a lot harder than I thought it would be. I really got attached to these kids over the last 4 weeks, and it was hard to say goodbye.... especially when they're all asking if I'll be back next summer. I can see why Jo, our project coordinator, keeps coming back, and feels so attached to the place.

So we came back to Sarajevo this morning, and now tonight we have our final reflection, then our closing dinner. Hoorah!! I'm planning on just lounging around for the next two days, and seeing the last few things in Sarajevo I hoped to see (mainly nightlife) then I leave Sunday night for Ljubljana, Slovenia. Im taking the overnight bus, then spending two days there in a hostel that used to be a jail! Should be really neat. Then catching a train Wednesday morning to Vienna, where I catch my flight to London. Whew! I'm definitely going to be exhausted by the time I get home on the 8th, but I think it will all be worth it.

One other fun note... made it to the black market last week to pick up some DVDs, and had the new Harry Potter movie the day after it came out, as well as about 5 other new movies. For less than $3 each! Haven't been able to get the book yet, but should be able to in London...

Time for reflection, so I hope everyone is doing well, and I can't wait to be home in just a few more weeks!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

wow! sounds like you've had a blast! I can't wait to see all your pictures adn hear more stories. See you soon!!

susan said...

wow, that sounds like a couple of busy weeks! cant wait to see you when you come back from london. no more sleeping on park benches i hope??!! i was wondering if you would have internet access? but maybe now that you are in london?