Friday, July 6, 2007

Week 4 update...

So not a lot has happened since my last post.... we finally got classes started in Vareš, and though I was a little intimidated my first day, it's gone really well. The first two days I had a class of about 30 7th and 8th graders, but on the third day we split the groups up into morning and afternoon classes. So now I have these really adorable 5th graders in the morning, and then my little entourage in the afternoon. I've got this group of sassy little girls, and these rowdy little boys that follow me around town like some celebrity. I can't say I don't enjoy it!! Outside of school, things in the town are nice. There's only about 8 cafes / bars so bar hopping entails walking about 5 steps. Kind of fun. We definitely stand out like sore thumbs, and I always have the feeling of being watched. I think by Thursday people were sort of used to us, so hopefully next week will be a little less awkward.

Thought I'd take the time to write about some random Bosnian observations.... speaking of being watched, the feeling is definitely there in Sarajevo as well. There aren't a lot of American tourists, so while some people do speak English, we definitely stand out here as well. I go to a couple of the same places fairly regularly, so there are some people that recognize me (I guess) but again, the feeling of being looked at strangely or being watched is pretty prevalent. Now I know how all the Asians feel in Denver...

The bathrooms here are definitely another major difference.... most of them in the apartments or restaurants are ˝normal˝ but in a lot of the public places or up in Vareš they're basically holes in the ground with little spots for your feet on either side. I've learned to pee like a guy, which is actually sort of fun.

Hmm... I had a few other things I was going to write about, but I just spent 15 min on the phone and forgot most of it. Oh well. Will update in a few days when I can think of more..

Hope everyone had a great 4th of July! I'm going to a belated celebration at the US Embassay tomorrow, then off to Mostar for the night, then back up to Vareš til Thursday, but I'll try and touch base sometime during the week....

3 comments:

susan said...

so i have to ask, how do you keep from getting pee on your legs??? hehe that must be nice to be followed like a celeb! the 5th graders sound much sweeter. now dont be getting any ideas about staying there permanently missy!!!

nona said...

now i have a chance to
email and check your blog
me and your mom were trying
about a hour to figure out
where it was
we willcheck it out tommorrow
i liked your photos
take care judy

nona said...

now i have a chance to
email and check your blog
me and your mom were trying
about a hour to figure out
where it was
we willcheck it out tommorrow
i liked your photos
take care judy