Monday, June 18, 2007

Busy, busy, week....

This past week has been busy (but fun), but I'll try picking up where I left off.

We had Wednesday morning to ourselves, and a few of the girls and I wandered around the open air fruit market. I had coffee by myself, then discovered this wonderful meat & cheese market, where they let you try everything - most of which is delicious. I think everyone reading this knows how I feel about cheese....


In the afternoon, we went to visit the US Embassy, which was pretty neat. We met with the second-in-command, and talked about his opinions on what is currently going in Bosnia. He was very honest with us, which is rare to find in someone talking about such complicated politics. Wednesday night we had dinner at the Sarajevo Pivarsca - the Rock Bottom of Bosnia. Amazing food.


Thursday we went to meet the organization we'll be volunteering for, Wings of Hope. They are also organizing a camp this summer for children affected by war. We met our boss, Maya, who loves to talk politics, philosophy, and drink coffee. I'm in love. After leaving work, we wandered the city for the afternoon, shopping, stopping for capppuccino, and more shopping.


Because we had a 3 day weekend, 4 of us decided to head to Dubrovnik, in Croatia on the coast. The drive was beautful, if bumpy, and we headed down to the beach as soon as we got in and found the apartment we rented for the weekend. It was a great time, and it was really amazing for me to be back there, where I doubted I would ever see again. I was really glad I got to share it with the other DU folks, and show them around to my favorite spots. Saturday night I ended up meeting the RIT kids that are on the same trip I was 4 years ago, and hung out with them until 4 AM. We met some guys who brought us to their cousins wedding..... good to know wedding crashing is universal!!


Had a slightly scary experience Sunday morning.... was about 100 m from the bus station, ready to head home, when I started to feel dizzy and nauseaus. Ended up having a heat-stroke induced seizure (I think) and being swooped away to the hospital in an ambulance. There, they hooked me up to an IV and let me sleep and cool down for a few hours, so it wasn't a horrible experience over all. But, can't say I would want to do it again. Moral of the story kids, drink lots of water at the beach!!


So now we're back in Sarajevo, and starting our volunteer positions for the week. Should be a pretty low key time, as I'm on strict doctors orders to stay in the shade. After volunteering this week, we head up to Vares next week to beign working on the children's school, which I'm very excited about.

Hope it's not as hot back in the states!
-Rachel

1 comment:

susan said...

my goodness you scare me!!! i hope you are ok and please drink plenty of water!!!! am glad you are doing fine. dubrovnik sounds like it was a lovely time, as well as the cheese market!!! mmmmm cheese! do you think that is where our chubbiness comes from? not being able to say no to cheese!!!?? hehe
is there anything i can do for the kids you are going to see? will you see them more than once? hope you stay safe and have fun!
love you