Saturday, June 23, 2007

The past week....

So as I mentioned before, I laid low for a few days this week.... got lots of rest and fluids, and tried to stay out of the heat. It's been really hot here every day (above 30 degress C, whatever that means) and I've decided there's just no point in being out between about 1-4 pm. The group and I did volunteer every day from about 9-1, but after that, it was time to head home for naps. The volunteering went really well - the organization brought in groups of kids for us to practice teaching English to, and they were so cute!! One of them spoke with this little British accent, which she learned from watching too much TV. They really loved having us there, and I now feel much better about the rest of the summer. Next Thursday we head up to the little town where we'll meet the students we'll teach for the next four weeks, and I'm a lot less nervous now.

Other than that, I have been venturing out and being a little more social this week. Met a random American staying at a nearby hostel on Wednesday, and ended up going out for drinks with him, some Irish girls, some of our group and the hostel managers. We went to a bar that had 70 & 80s night - can't say I thought I'd come to Bosnia to hear Gloria Gaynor, Flashdance and Ghostbusters! The next night I went to the local hot spot Hacienda with the Bosnians and this British guy for this Beach Dance Party. It was a ton of fun, and we danced til like 3 in the morning. The music was much better, and they were tossing around beach balls and sombreros, and it was definitely more of a local place. Went to an amazing dinner with some of the girls last night and then went and saw Oceans 13 - nice little date night. Too bad it was all American girls. Pretty funny seeing the movie here (for only like $3.33). Tonight me, the Bosnians (Haris & Sharif) and some of the girls are heading to this huge concert here in Sarajevo, which should be.... interesting. I'm off of work until next Thursday, and just heard the Chili Peppers are playing in nearby Belgrade on Tuesday, so I might head over to that to redeem my musical sensabilities!

It's way too hot to be in the internet cafe anymore, so I'll post more later......

No comments: